Saturday, October 15, 2011

Ironman

For the first time in my life I packed my bags and got on an airplane to go somewhere hot NOT for a race or a training camp. It was weird to travel somewhere just to relax and have fun but it was definitely needed! Specialized invited the team to the Ironman World Champs in Kona to help promote the release of the new Shiv. It was cool to have most of the Specialized athletes together, I got to know each of them a lot better and it was a really cool event. They also gave us each our own Shiv, so I got to try out a TT bike for the first time ever. I was nervous since it feels quite different than a road bike, but as soon as we got onto the highway I got much more comfortable. These bikes can fly!

I felt so spoiled and lucky all week long and a few years ago I never would have dreamed having such a unique opportunity. I was swimming the Ironman course with Emma Snowsill and Jan Frodeno, hanging out at the Oakley house getting a bunch of new goodies, riding the fastest triathlon bike ever made, having breakfast at Lava Java with some of the best triathletes on the planet and meeting lots of cool people!




Thanks to the Specialized crew for the amazing trip- I’m so lucky to be supported by such an enthusiastic and talented group of people. I definitely want to go back to Kona again, I can see why people get so hooked on Ironman. I just might have to do it myself someday!

Paula


9 comments:

Benoit said...

That's a cool week indeed!!How are your injury problems going?
it's fun to see you in pic not racing!

Daniel said...

alright, some much needed R&R.

Grace and Claire said...

Hi Paula,

I am in grade six and I would like to do my school project on you. I find it amazing that you have been so successfull. I know you live in edmonton. so do i. I really want to interview you. it will make my project really personal. If you have any interest in this please let me know as soon as possible. the project is going to be due soon and i need to know if i can do it on you. i realize that you are in hawaii right now... SO COOL.
but if you could reply to this comment within the next three days i can start my reasearch. if you wont be in edmonton this month, maybe i can interview oyu over the internet. I have been reading your blog for the past year and i know you dont reply to the comments so i understand if you dont contact me. my friend was in the triathalon at Hawerlack and she got to meet you. i hope i can meet you too. if you can, just reply on the blog. I hope ill hear from you soon

Paula Findlay said...

Hi Grace,
I actually live in Victoria right now, but I'd be happy to talk to you on the phone or over the internet. Send me an email at pfindlay@ualberta.ca and we can arrange something! Thanks!

Paula

Grace and Claire said...

Are you kidding me?!?!? I am so excited!!!!
I started my research and soon I will be ready to interview you.
I competitive swim in the summer and I'm in the cross country running club at school. My dad owns a ski/bike shop and he said that he sells skis to your dad. i know all those things don't quite add up to a triathalon but someday, i want to try one. You wouldn't believe how impressed my teacher was.(or me) I ahve so many questions i would like to ask. Thank you so much for this opportunity. I cant tell you how excited i am. I will contact you when im ready.


Thanks once again

Grace

Grace and Claire said...

Are you kidding me?!?!? I am so excited!!!!
I started my research and soon I will be ready to interview you.
I competitive swim in the summer and I'm in the cross country running club at school. My dad owns a ski/bike shop and he said that he sells skis to your dad. i know all those things don't quite add up to a triathalon but someday, i want to try one. You wouldn't believe how impressed my teacher was.(or me) I ahve so many questions i would like to ask. Thank you so much for this opportunity. I cant tell you how excited i am. I will contact you when im ready.


Thanks once again

Grace

Grace and Claire said...

im sorry i didnt mean to send doubles

Grace and Claire said...

Sorry i tried to send this to your email but ts not working

Hi Paula,

I just wanted to thank you once again for letting me interview you! It was very nice of you to respond to all my emails so quickly. I can't wait to get started on my project!
Maybe I'll send you the date of my presentation:)


Thank you so much

Unless I see you sooner... good luck at the olympics! We'll all be cheering for you

From Grace

Anthony Frost said...

Nice week .

small private flight injuries